Today we’re going to see how you can prepare your finances so you can buy a house without going broke! Things are about to get hectic around here. We just heard from our neighbor that the developer is going to start building the townhouses across the street from us starting next week. Buying a House […]
You’ve probably heard how giving not only benefits the recipients but the giver. However, what do you do when you’re in debt? Learn how you can pay off debt and give more to the causes that matter most to you!
Giving While in Debt?
When people ask this, two things jump out at me.
First, they have a generous spirit. That’s fantastic.
Second, their current budget isn’t working for them. That’s something that needs to be adjusted.
What if I told you there’s a way you can take care of the essentials, make progress on paying off your debts, and still give?
Today Certified Financial Educational Instructor and The Money Speakeasy founder Wilson Muscadin is here to discuss how.
In this episode we get into:
- Why we struggle with money
- A counter-intuitive way to think about how you budget
- How giving can help be wiser with your money
Let’s get started!
Resources to Give Back More
If you’re looking to create a budget that reflects your values while still taking care of the essentials, here are some resources to check out.
- Best Budget and Money Apps: Personal Capital, Tiller, Mint
- Automatic Saving: Qapital
- Free 401(k) Analysis: blooom
- Partners in Wealth
- Jumpstart Your Marriage and Your Money
- Total Money Makeover
- Giving USA 2018: Americans Gave $410.02 Billion to Charity in 2017
- Charitable Giving in America: Some Facts and Figures
Support the Podcast!
Thank you so much for listening to the podcast!
- Spread the word! If you enjoyed this episode and think it can help a buddy get on the path to dumping debt and become financially free, please share.
- Leave a review. Honest feedback and reviews make a big difference and gets the word out about the podcast. Leave your review on Apple or Stitcher.
- Grab a copy of Jumpstart Your Marriage and Your Money. My book is designed for a busy couple to set up their finances in 4 weeks. Get tips and tools that have worked for other couples on their journey of building their marriage and wealth together!
Whether you’re shopping for loved ones or yourself, today is all about helping you find the best deals!
[smart_track_player url=”http://media.blubrry.com/couplemoney/traffic.libsyn.com/couplemoney/CM_009_How_to_Get_the_Best_Deals_When_You_Shop.mp3″ ]
In this episode we cover:
- How to find the perfect gift for your friends and family. Learn how to match up presents with personalities by following as I come up with the perfect gift for my husband.
- Ray from Squirrelers is on the show today to share his story about getting discounts on big ticket items. You may be surprised at how easy it can be if you know what and how to ask.
- How to score the best price when you shop, whether it’s in the stores or online.
Big thanks to Jim from Scotch Addict for his post on the right scotch for special occasions!
I’m very excited about this episode and I hope you will be too!
- Subscribe on iTunes: Simply click on this link and you’ll be taken to Couple Money’s page where you can subscribe.
- Subscribe on Stitcher: Please click here so you can catch all episodes.
If you enjoyed the podcast, could you please take a second to share this with your friend or leave a rating and review? You’ll be getting the word out on the show and helping other couples build their marriage and net worth.
Finding the Best Deal on Big Ticket Items Quickly and Easily
Whether you love to explore the stores or stay at home when you shop, we’re all looking for a great deal. To find those treasures usually means we have to do some digging around, especially if you’re trying to pick up a big ticket item.
You don’t want to have buyer’s remorse after paying with your hard earned money. But I know time is an issue for many people, so I’ll just cut to the chase and give you two sites help you quickly find what you’re looking for at a great price – Consumer Reports and Amazon.
Consumer Reports – Reliable Reviews
Consumerreports. org is the resource when you’re looking to buy. They are the best when it comes to testing the quality and reliability of products. It’s probably the easiest way for you to find a product that what will give you the biggest bang for your buck.
You do have to be a subscriber to get access to all their information online, but for $30/year it really does pay for itself.
We’ve used them when we were car shopping and were able to narrow down our choices to four models, allowing us to feel pretty confident when shopping because we knew which cars would be a good fit for us and had a reputation of being reliable.
Besides that huge purchase, we used the site to shop for a digital camera and it was incredibly useful.
Consumer Reports does a fantastic job on not just describing options, but explaining the pros and cons of different features. Advertisers love to throw different features and specs, hoping to entice you, but you can tell if they really matter or not. Consumer Reports made that easier for us.
Amazon – Price Hunting Made Simple
Amazon’s power from their huge amount of products and reviews.You can quickly see from other customers if certain complaints or raves are deal breakers or makers for you.
With some many sellers on the site, you also have the bonus of having a fairly good idea of what prices you can expect to pay. With the numbers in mind or on your phone, you’re now ready to check out local stores and see if they will price match the deals you see online at the least or give you a better discount. Like Ray showed, you never know until you ask.
You may find it’s cheaper to stick with Amazon too.
Finding Best Deals Online
Of course, there are plenty of websites to help you find deals. Kiplinger compiled a list of the top 15 deal sites to help you get a great price the next time you shop.
If you have any other tips, please leave them in the comments!
Photo Credit: Matthias Ripp