In order to produce the podcast and keep content up free for you, I work with partners so this post may contain affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure for more info.
Need to talk about money, but worried about starting a fight? Learn easy and stress-less ways you two can have the money talk and get on the same page with your finances!
How to Talk About Money (without Starting a Fight)
While it makes for good TV drama, finding out your spouse has been hiding massive debt is so not the way to start talking about money.
But how do you do that – how do you start talking about money?
Certified Financial Planner and NY Times best-selling author Carl Richards is on today to share some ways you can begin.
In this episode we get into:
- Why it’s hard for most couples to talk about money
- How money dates can keep things light and fun
- Ice breakers to get the ball rolling
Hope you enjoy!
Resources to Help the Money Talk Go Easier
If you two are ready, here are some fantastic resources to make talking about (and managing) money much less stressful!
- Best Budget and Money Apps: Personal Capital, Tiller, Mint
- Grow Your Stash Faster: High Yield Savings with CiT Bank
- Automatic Saving: Qapital
- Jumpstart Your Marriage and Your Money
Thank You to Our Sponsor Coastal!
Support for this podcast comes from Coastal Credit Union! If you’re living in the Raleigh Durham area and looking to bank better, come check out Coastal.
Meet Carl Richards
Carl Richards is a Certified Financial Planner™ and creator of the Sketch Guy column, appearing weekly in the New York Times since 2010.
Through his simple sketches, Carl makes complex financial concepts easy to understand.
His sketches also serve as the foundation for his two books, The One-Page Financial Plan: A Simple Way to Be Smart About Your Money and The Behavior Gap: Simple Ways to Stop Doing Dumb Things with Money.
Keep Takeaways for Talking About Money
Before we close up I want to focus on some key takeaways I got:
- Make talking about money a normal part of your conversations.
- Focus on the WHY before the HOW
- Keep it simple
If you’d like to chat more about getting on the same page with your spouse about money, please join us in our private and free Facebook group – Thriving Families.
Hope to see you there!
Support the Podcast!
Thank you so much for listening to the podcast!
- Spread the word! If you enjoyed this episode and think it can help a buddy get on the path to dumping debt and become financially free, please share.
- Leave a review. Honest feedback and reviews make a big difference and gets the word out about the podcast. Leave your review on Apple or Stitcher.
- Grab a copy of Jumpstart Your Marriage and Your Money. My book is designed for a busy couple to set up their finances in 4 weeks. Get tips and tools that have worked for other couples on their journey of building their marriage and wealth together!